We are now into the second month buying only American made products that are also environmentally friendly. It is easier now is some aspects, as I now have some idea of what brands are ok to buy and which ones are not. But on the flip side, there are several things I now realize we are not going to be able to buy for a long time. And there is so much planning involved no more quick trips to just grab something at the store. For example, one of my favorite people in the world was here (Amanda Baranowski) and I decided to make stir-fry. I already had most of the stuff I needed, but did need some peppers and little baby corns. Due to laziness, I did not want to walk all the way to Whole Foods. So, I walked across the street to Giant instead. Well Giant, unlike Whole Foods who prides themselves on selling local items, prides themselves on selling only foreign items. Just about every produce item is from another country. Well, I got a green and red pepper from Mexico and baby corn from – god I don’t even remember now. But definitely not from the USA. Anyhow, the stir-fry was delicious.
Overall, buying American has gone alright. However, there are a couple issues. Example, we need batteries. You really can’t buy these used or American made. So, what are we suppose to do?? Any ideas? Second, we got a great printer from an awesome friend but it has no cord. Are we now required to look at it for the next 10 months, since all computer equipment comes from China? LOL Well, at least it looks nice. We also need a new blender, but I have yet to find one that is actually American Made. I believe Kitchen-Aid is American made but I just really don’t believe the website. Maybe I can order it and if it is not American made, simply send it back. Or keep forgetting to send it back and well after awhile you have to keep it right?
Even though, it has only been two month I have learned a lot. The biggest thing, well besides the obvious- that most things are not American made, is shopping American made requires a lot of time and energy. Energy and time that sometimes I do not have. Sometimes, I just want to walk into the store and just get whatever I want and not have to search around on the box to see where it comes from. I just brought Sara a present. Before I ordered it, since the website did not say where it was made, I called the company and asked. Lucky for her it was American made. Sara would be so proud.
No comments:
Post a Comment