So, I know the answer to this question before even starting down this road. You cannot. Things that immediately come to mind that are going to be hard, if not impossible, to buy American are coffee, cell phones, computers, and well any type of electronics.
You may be thinking what is going on. Well, Sara and I (actually this is Sara's idea) have decided to try to buy only American Made items. As many of you already know, I also try to buy products from companies that are environmental friendly and social responsible. Keeping all these criteria in mind is going to make buying anything a challenge. Hmm I think, maybe I can buy all the products I want from Seventh Generation and Paul Newman. So I guess for 2012, I'm going to be eating a lot of salad and cleaning a lot. LOL.
Here are the guidelines we are going to try and follow:
1) First and foremost, buy from American companies that are also 'green' (i.e. Seventh Generation, Organic Valley)
2) We can't buy anything from the top 20 Corporate Villains (http://www.betterworldshopper.org/worst.html)
3) We will not pay an unreal amount for something just because it is American made and 'green'. In this case, we will either go without or buy from a country other than China.
4) We can buy used items that were original made in China. Our rationale is that someone already gave China the money, so we are not supporting China but the local thrift store.
5) Only buy from companies that received an A or B in the 'Better World Shopping Guide'.
Wish us luck!
Thursday, December 29, 2011
Can you really buy only American made products?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Nicole, I'm so impressed by this! I wish you luck and look forward to reading about your adventures!!
ReplyDelete